As another calendar year draws to a close, it’s time for a little tradition. Unfortunately the latest blog posts have only been the traditional ones. At least they remind me that I should be writing more.
As Christmas approaches I took a look back at songs or groups that featured prominently in different aspects of my life in the past year, and reflected on the annual criteria for this list. In order to be considered for inclusion, two of the following conditions must be met by the song:
– Is tied to a memorable event from the past year.
– Is musically meaningful to someone, or a group of people I care about, and/or have interacted with lately.
-Has been a popular song in the preceding year.
-Could be allowing me to send a message – but not always what appears to be the obvious one.
-Is a Christmas song.
-Is by an artist I think you should hear more of.
-A hands down cool song.
After careful (and again rather hurriedly) contemplation, the 2012 edition was battle born: Ryhmin’ and Christmasin’. For the first time both David Gray and Death Cab were left off. The Black Keys had a big year within my ears, and around the globe and thus garnered two spots. The other double feature on the 2012 list belongs to the late Adam Yauch and the Beastie Boys, for obvious reasons. The only hat trick goes to the Killers, who always get their Christmas release added (I Feel it in My Bones this year) but also got two off their latest album, as their recent concert in Vancouver was lights out!
This is about the sixth or seventh year I’ve made a playlist for Christmas, but only the fourth time it’s been posted (2009, 2010, 2011). Comments and questions on the list are always welcome. What musical selections were integral to your life this past year? Music is a big part of our lives – don’t be afraid to strike up a conversation, here, or elsewhere.
Have a Merry Christmas, and be sure to get out there and go Rhymin’…
Rhymin’ and Christmasin’
- Hark! The Herald Angels Sing – Vince Guaraldi Trio
- Sussudio – Phil Collins
- Pick Me Up – Hollerado
- Closer – Tegan and Sara
- Charlie Brown – Coldplay
- I Feel It In My Bones – The Killers (feat. Ryan Pardey)
- Love Interruption – Jack White
- Rhymin’ and Stealin’ – Beastie Boys
- Runaways – The Killers
- Midnight City – M83
- Lonely Boy – The Black Keys
- Young Blood – The Naked and Famous
- Needing/Getting – OK Go
- Fake Empire – The National
- Little Black Submarines – The Black Keys
- Ebony and Ivory – Paul McCartney & Stevie Wonder
- Elderly Woman Behind The Counter In A Small Town – Pearl Jam
- Some Nights – Fun.
- Intergalactic – Beastie Boys
- A Very Vancouver Christmas – Dan Mangan
- Battle Born – The Killers
- Wagon Wheel – Old Crow Medicine Show
- Christmas Time Is Here (Instrumental) – Vince Guaraldi Trio
- Silent Night – The Canadian Tenors