Music plays a big role in our lives throughout the entire year, but it seems to come to the forefront during this season. Thus, we continue the tradition of a Christmas time playlist to help us chill out over the holidays, and look back over the past year. This year’s collection is entitled: Stay Young, Go Christmasing. There was a lot of dancing in the past year, and so dance songs seem to feature prominently on this year’s list. For a song to be considered it must meet at least two of the following criteria:
– Is tied to a memorable event from the past year.
– Is musically meaningful to someone, or a group of people I care about, and/or have interacted with lately.
-Has been a popular song in the preceding year.
-Could be allowing me to send a message – but not always what appears to be the obvious one.
-Is a Christmas song.
-Is by an artist I think you should hear more of.
-A hands down cool song.
This is the fifth or sixth year I’ve compiled a list, but only two previous ones made it on to the blog (2009, 2010). The Killers get their usual spot with their annual Christmas single. You’ll note that Death Cab for Cutie, and David Gray are also regulars. As predicted last year, Death Cab had new stuff for us, and they did not disappoint and are recognized accordingly. The National also had a big year around these parts and they got a couple of nods, but almost got a third and fourth. Fake Empire and Conversation 16 were both last minute cuts – very difficult ones to make. Mangan gets two songs because Robots had the popularity, but Tina’s Glorious Comeback has some lyrics that could just not be ignored right now. A couple of Canadian throwbacks happily made the list in the Weakerthans and the Hip. If you haven’t yet checked out The Airborne Toxic Event, then you should.
Comments and questions on the list are welcomed, as are your suggestions for songs at this time of year. Have a very Merry Christmas, and remember to Stay Young, Go Dancing!… or Christmasing! 🙂
Stay Young, Go Christmasing
1. Angels We Have Heard On High – Sufjan Stevens
2. Helena Beat – Foster the People
3. Changing – The Airborne Toxic Event
4. Dancing Queen – ABBA
5. Home for a Rest – Spirit Of The West
6. Tournament of Hearts – The Weakerthans
7. Living Room – David Gray
8. Tina’s Glorious Comeback – Dan Mangan
9. Gold Guns Girls – Metric
10. Rumour Has It – Adele
11. Silent Night – Andrea Bocelli
12. Grapevine Fires – Death Cab for Cutie
13. Make Some Noise – Beastie Boys
14. Poets – The Tragically Hip
15. Bob Dylan’s 115th Dream – Bob Dylan
16. Raiser Your Glass – Pink
17. Livin’ on a Prayer – Bon Jovi
18. The Cowboys’ Christmas Ball – The Killers
19. Lonely Boy – The Black Keys
20. Daughters of the Soho Riots – The National
21. Stay Young, Go Dancing – Death Cab for Cutie
22. Robots – Dan Mangan
23. Dropout – Urge Overkill
24. Joy to the World – Three Dog Night
25. Christmas Time is Here – Vince Guaraldi Trio
26. Vanderlyle Crybaby Geeks – The National